Founder of Grotting Plastic Surgery, Dr. Grotting and his staff have provided excellent care and treatments to the Birmingham, Alabama, community for over 30 years.
They strive to give their patients the best plastic surgery treatment and care possible.
Dr. Grotting has provided free plastic surgery for children with facial deformities in developing countries through Operation Smile since 1987.
As a volunteer for Operation Smile, he has helped organize:
- Surgical and Medical Assistant – San Blas Island, Panama, 1974
- Operation Smile – Naga City, Philippines, 1989
- Operation Smile – Negros, Philippines, 1990
- Operation Smile, Team Leader Flap Dissection Workshop – Manila, Philippines, 1991 and 1992
- Operation Smile, Team Leader – Lucena, Philippines, 1993
- Operation Smile, Team Leader Microsurgery Flap Workshop – Moscow, Russia, 1993
- Operation Smile – Nairobi, Kenya, 1996
- Operation Smile – Bangkok, Thailand, 1997
- Operation Smile – World Journey of Hope – Brazil – Morocco – Romania, 1999
Dr. Grotting is a private pilot who also enjoys skiing, ice hockey, and sailing.
He is happily married to his wife, Ann Grotting, and they have two boys, Jimmy and Ben Grotting.
Throughout his professional career, Dr. Grotting has been listed for 25 consecutive years in "The Best Doctors in America." Most recently, he received the Distinguished Service Award from The American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery, one of the highest honors that the Society gives.
He has also been awarded the Certificate of Merit during the Senior Residents Conference in Plastic Surgery in 1985 and The Robert H. Ivy Society Award by American Society of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeons in 1989.
Dr. Grotting is a member of numerous editorial boards and is the author and editor of six major textbooks on plastic surgery:
- Reoperative Aesthetic and Reconstructive Surgery Editor, Quality Medical Publishing, 1995, Second Edition 2007
- Diagnosis and Management of Breast Disease Coeditor, Blackwell Scientific Publications, 1995
- Secondary Rhinoplasty and Nasal Reconstruction Editor, Quality Medical Publishing, 1996
- Plastic Surgery, 3rd Edition, Neligan (Ed) Volume Five Breast, Grotting (ed) Elsevier, 2013
- FLAPS: Decision Making in Clinical Practice Coeditor, Quality Medical Publishing, 1997
He has also lectured around the world and published numerous chapters and peer-reviewed journal articles in the fields of cosmetic surgery, aesthetic breast surgery, patient safety, and breast reconstruction.
- The Upchurch Lecture, Southeastern Society of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeons, 2018
- The James Barrett Brown Lecture, Washington University in St. Louis, 2018
- Duke University, 2018
- Keynote Speaker, The Florida Society of Plastic Surgeons, 2017
- The Hartrampf Lecture, Atlanta Breast Symposium, 2015
- The Hendrix Lecture, University of Mississippi, 2015
- The Ivy Lecture, University of Pennsylvania, 2014
- The University of British Columbia, 2014
- The Theogaraj Lecture, Medical College of Virginia, 2012
- University of Virginia, Charlottesville, 2010
- The Thuss Lectureship, Vanderbilt University, 2009
- Hokkaido University, Sapporo, Japan, 1994
- The British Association of Plastic Surgeons, Oxford, 1992
- The Peter Buehler Lecture, University of Washington
- The University of Massachusetts
- The Canadian Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery
- American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery
- American Society of Plastic Surgeons
- The Henry N. Harkins Surgical Society
- Alabama Society of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeons
- The Harry J. Buncke Society
- American College of Surgeons (Fellow)
- Southeastern Society of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
- Jefferson County Medical Association
- International Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery
- American Alpine Workshop in Plastic Surgery
- Jefferson County Medical Society
- Aesthetic Surgery Education and Research Foundation
- American Association of Plastic Surgeons
- Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation, Birmingham Chapter
- Alabama Chapter, American College of Surgeons
- Medical Association of the State of Alabama