in Birmingham, AL
If you’ve had one or more children and want to correct some of the cosmetic effects pregnancy and breastfeeding have caused, you might want to consider a “Mommy Makeover”.
This combination of cosmetic surgical procedures can address several post-pregnancy concerns you may have about your body.
Dr. James Grotting is a board-certified, highly respected, and award-winning plastic surgeon who provides excellent Mommy Makeover results in Birmingham, Alabama.
Am I a Candidate for a Mommy Makeover?
If you are a healthy non-smoker who has been at or near your ideal weight for six months or more and want to address the following issues, you may be a great candidate for a Mommy Makeover!
- Sagging or misshapen breasts
- Loose abdominal skin
- Stubborn residual belly fat
Another important consideration is whether or not you plan to become pregnant again as pregnancy can negatively impact your Mommy Makeover results.
What Does a Mommy Makeover Include?
Two or more of the following breast and body procedures are combined for a customized Mommy Makeover:
If your breasts have lost volume and have taken on a deflated appearance, or you simply want to increase their size, you can choose to have breast implants placed.
If your breasts are sagging, but you are satisfied with their size, you can choose to have them lifted to restore a more youthful look. A breast lift can be combined with implants if you also want to increase your breast size. We can also utilize your own fat to enhance shape and size along with implants or lifting the breasts.
If you have suffered back, shoulder, and neck pain from having breasts that are too large for your frame, choose a breast reduction. A Mommy Makeover is an excellent opportunity to reduce your breast size and address sagging at the same time.
If you have loose skin and residual fat around your belly and waist, choose a tummy tuck (abdominoplasty) for a dramatically slimmer midsection.
For diet and exercise-resistant pockets of fat almost anywhere on the body, choose liposuction to smooth and recontour your figure.
How Is a Mommy Makeover Performed?
A Mommy Makeover is performed under general anesthesia, typically as an outpatient procedure. Depending on the procedures you choose based on Dr. Grotting’s recommendation, your surgeries will be performed in the following ways:
- Inframammary – this incision is made along the breast crease
- Periareolar – this incision is made along the bottom half of the areolar
- Transaxillary – This incision is made under the arm. It is best used for saline breast implants because they are filled after being placed, making insertion through the armpit much easier.
- A periareolar incision for mild sagging and to reposition the nipple
- A lollipop incision (around the areola and down to the crease) for moderate sagging
- An anchor incision (around the areola, down to, and along the crease) for extreme sagging; Dr. Grotting developed a short scar technique called the vertical sculpted pillar, which he has published and teaches to other plastic surgeons around the world
Breast tissue is then reshaped and placed higher on the chest, along with the nipple and areola.
Breast reduction is similar to a breast lift but involves removing excess breast tissue and fat as well. He then reshapes the remaining breast tissue and repositions the nipple and areola to provide you with smaller, perkier, and younger-looking breasts.
While breast reduction generally requires the anchor incision, Dr. Grotting has perfected the vertical sculpted pillar technique that uses a shorter incision, resulting in a smaller scar.
Tummy tuck surgery requires an incision along the bikini line from the left to right hip. Dr. Grotting then removes excess fat, often with the assistance of liposuction, and tightens the core muscles before trimming excess skin. He offers drainless tummy tucks if you prefer to avoid dealing with a drain after your surgery.
Liposuction involves using a powerful medical vacuum to remove localized pockets of fat. A thin tube (cannula) is inserted under the skin into the fat, which is then suctioned away. Dr. Grotting uses a special technique called the SAFE method (separation, aspiration, and fat equalization) to provide superior results and a better recovery experience.
How Long Does a Mommy Makeover Take?
Depending on the options included in your Mommy Makeover, the surgery may take from two to five hours.
Will I Feel Any Pain During My Mommy Makeover?
Because general anesthesia is used, you won’t feel pain during surgery. However, you will likely experience swelling, bruising, tenderness, tightness, and some discomfort after your procedures. Dr. Grotting places long-acting local anesthetic (Exparel) along the operated areas before you wake up to give you pain relief for up to three days.
Pain can be managed with medication, but if discomfort persists or increases, you should contact Dr. Grotting immediately.
What Can I Expect During My Mommy Makeover Recovery?
A Mommy Makeover is a complex procedure and requires plenty of rest during a potentially significant recovery period. However, your downtime will depend on the specific surgeries involved.
- Breast procedures can have you back at work or resuming your normal activities within only a few days or up to one week.
- Liposuction can allow you to return to your typical routine in as little as one day or up to a week.
- A tummy tuck may keep you out of work for about two weeks.
You must follow all post-operative instructions and avoid strenuous exercise or lifting for at least six weeks after these surgeries to achieve your best results.
Are There Risks Associated With a Mommy Makeover?
As with all surgical procedures, there are some risks involved. While rare, complications associated with a Mommy Makeover can include:
- Blood clots
- Nerve injury
Nicotine use, alcohol consumption, aspirin, NSAIDs, or other medicines that increase bleeding can increase these risks.
What Will My Mommy Makeover Results Be Like?
You can expect enhanced, younger-looking breasts and a slimmer, smoother waist and tummy after your Mommy Makeover. Following all pre and post-op instructions will help ensure your desired results.
How Long Will It Take Until I See My Final Results?
It typically takes between three and six months to see your final Mommy Makeover results. However, the exact length of time will vary depending on the extent of your surgery.
How Long Will My Mommy Makeover Results Last?
Breast augmentation is designed to last your whole life; however, implants may need to be replaced at 10 to 20 years to avoid implant rupture, while tummy tuck and liposuction results provide essentially permanent results. Keep in mind that future pregnancies, weight fluctuations, and age will impact the outcome of your Mommy Makeover.
What Are Some Frequently Asked Questions About Mommy Makeovers?
How much does a Mommy Makeover cost?
The cost of a Mommy Makeover will be determined by the procedures you choose, the techniques being performed, and facility and anesthesia fees.
Dr. Grotting and his team will provide you with an accurate quote during your consultation.
Can a Mommy Makeover be combined with other surgical procedures?
Since a Mommy Makeover already includes a combination of procedures, additional surgery options are limited. Dr. Grotting may approve adding an arm lift (brachioplasty) and can recommend non-surgical treatments to enhance your results or address any skin concerns you have.
Is there a non-surgical alternative to a Mommy Makeover?
While there are no non-surgical options that will provide the kinds of results you can achieve with a Mommy Makeover, if you want to treat milder body issues, you might consider Coolsculpting®.
Which is better: liposuction or a tummy tuck?
Neither is “better,” but each of these procedures offers different benefits:
- Liposuction is more versatile and can remove stubborn fat from several areas, including the chin, back, abdomen, arms, hips, and thighs. However, it is not designed to tighten loose skin or remove stretch marks.
- A tummy tuck will remove fat, tighten skin, and correct or repair separated abdominal muscles.
Which is better: a breast lift or breast augmentation?
These procedures also address different issues:
- Breast augmentation increases the size of your breasts but does not treat sagging. If you choose silicone breast implants, Dr. Grotting will go over the FDA recommendation of undergoing regular MRI screenings to detect any possible ruptures.
- A breast lift does not increase the size of your breasts but will restore a more youthful position and appearance. However, often your breasts will appear larger because they are rounder and higher on your chest.
Learn More About Mommy Makeovers in Birmingham, AL
Dr. Grotting has been recognized as one of the best doctors in America for 25 consecutive years, and his knowledgeable team is eager to answer any questions.
Call our Birmingham Mommy Makeover expert today at (205) 930-1600.